Thursday, April 12, 2012

A No TV Household

What?!  No television?  Well, let me rephrase that...I'm not allowing my 10 1/2 month old to watch TV, and here's why...


The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that kids under 2 years old not watch any TV and that those older than 2 watch no more than 1 to 2 hours a day of quality programming.  As a speech language pathologist and new mom, I also support this statement.  The first 2 years of life are considered a critical time for brain development. TV and other electronic media can get in the way of exploring, playing, and interacting with parents and others.  Interaction with others encourages learning and healthy physical and social development.  Even background TV noise can interfere with a child's development.  Extensive research has been conducted regarding infant exposure to television and the following conclusions have been made: 

  • young children and their adult caregivers uttered fewer vocalizations, used fewer words and engaged in fewer conversations when in the presence of audible television.  This refers to a television that is on in the background as well.

  • television exposure during infancy is associated with language delays and attention problems

  • a specific study published in  Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, found that  for every hour a television was turned on, babies heard 770 fewer words from an adult.  Conversational exchanges between baby and parent dropped 15%, as did the overall number of vocalizations made by children. 
For children over the age of 2, the following recommendations have been made:

  • If you allow TV time, choose age-appropriate programs. Involve older children in setting guidelines for what to watch. Use guides and ratings to help, but beware of unproven claims that programs or DVDs are educational. Even cartoons produced for children can be violent or over stimulating.
  • Limit TV time to no more than two hours per day. Less is better.
  • Keep TV off during meals.
  • Set "media-free" days, and plan other fun things to do.
  • Avoid using TV as a reward.
  • Turn off TV when a chosen program is over. Don't leave TV on as background filler or while engaging in other activities. When no one is actively watching, turn TV off.
  • Watch TV with your child. Talk about what you see and engage with your child about the content.
  • Keep TVs out of bedrooms.

As a new mom, I often feel overwhelmed with getting housework completed and dinner on the table for my family.  This sensation is often increased due to my son's inconsistent napping.  Boy, when he does nap, I've become a whiz at getting things done in a 25 minute period!!!


It can be difficult to get everything completed particularly during his waking hours, and the television would be an easy way to keep him entertained.   I have chosen to refrain from television watching and accept the fact that I can't be 'Super Mom.'  Sometimes the chores just need to be put on hold.  I will admit that there have been times when I haven't been able to vacuum my house all week....however, my time with Griffin is precious and these moments will not last forever.  Before I know it, he'll be wanting to play with his friends and not his mom.  


So, what do I do on days when Griffin does not nap?  Well, I have my 'go-to' meals - quesadillas, chicken pasta, and salmon cakes.  I try to keep these ingredients in the house at all times.  Last night was another story...Griffin and I found ourselves visiting Walmart at 6:00 to pick up tortillas and salsa - we had run out!  In the end, the quesadillas turned out great and everyone was happy.   Here's to the good life, friends!

1 comment:

  1. My screen looks wacky when I read this post....I have no idea why some areas are highlighted and some are not....gotta love technology!!

    ReplyDelete